Wednesday, October 5, 2011

About Dorm Room Music


So, yesterday I posted about Dorm Room Music I promised I would track them down and figure out their life story, so here you go. Members are Joe, beats, and Jupiter Jim, rapper. Asked them a few questions and compiled the responses. Enjoy and make sure you join them on Facebook, Twitter, and Soundcould.

Where you from? Where you going? Year? School?

Jupiter - I’m from Hammond, Indiana. I was born in Harvey, IL. Im a freshman at IU, Bloomington.

Joe - I’m from Fort Wayne and go to Indiana University, freshman living in the dorms.

How long have you been making raps?

Jupiter - I been rappin’ since I was like seven, I actually used to be in a gospel rap group but recently decided to start rapping about what I wanted to rap about and not what would make adults in my life happy. (lol)

How long have you been making beats?

Joe - I started making beats about 2 years ago, but got pretty serious about it within the last 6 months.

I hear a few pretty sweet and recognizable samples, are there any you are particularly proud of or that gave you trouble?

Joe - Sample hunting is always fun, and usually I can tell which ones I can do before I start based on instruments on vocals. I actually worked my way thru these beats pretty smoothly.

Where did "Jupiter Jim" come from?

Jupiter - Jupiter Jim comes from Jupiter being the roman god for Zues and my name is James so thats where I get Jim from so it's like the two sides of me. Jupiter being my alter ego that says what ever he wants I guess and Jim being the everyday average me.

How did you meet to join forces?

Jupiter - Me and Joe just happened to end up in the same hall in our dorm building and I told some kids I rap and they were like ‘hey this kid makes beats down the hall!’ So I went over there he was working on the beat to the now "Jupiter Jim Freestyle" track so I kicked a lil’ freestyle and then the rest is history.

Joe - We were all chillin’ in my room one night, I was workin’ on some beats and the guys were watchin’ football. Another kid came in and said that there was a rapper just three doors down the hall, so he brought him in. I threw on the "Jupiter Freestyle" beat and he just stepped up to the mic and the first song was created. We are planning to make another mixtape very soon, and hopefully just keep cranking out songs until we get noticed!

Where do you plan on going with DRM, Getting any publicity, and where's it coming from?

Jupiter - So far we just released the tape like literally three days ago so really just friends from back home heard it and a few students. I hope it takes us far enough to drop out of school I wanna be big. I think we got what it takes.

Joe - The publicity is coming mainly from Soundcloud, Facebook, or Twitter, the easiest places to promote of course. We are trying to network and such, but we are also in the process of burning 1000 CD's so we can hand em out around campus.

Inspirations?

Jupiter - Im definitely inspired by way too much, to list but I love indie rock and as far as rappers my top 3 are Jay-z, Kanye, and Drake.

Joe - Personally, Xaphoon Jones is my favorite producer, and it’s evident in my work. I'm not striving to mimic his style or anything, but I guess in anything that you do you base it off your inspiration right?

And more specifically, did the start of the mixtape, when you are thanking everyone for coming out, is that inspired by the VH1 Storytellers Kanye West?

Jupiter - The VH1 storytellers is exactly where I got that intro from!


Listen To Them On SOUNDCLOUD
Follow On TWITTER
Join Them On FACEBOOK

22"s

No comments:

Post a Comment